A MIG welder is someone who is specialized and uses specific techniques and welding styles to join pieces of metal together. If you are thinking of becoming a MIG welder, there are a few things you should know. In each state, they make a different amount.
How much do MIG welders make? These welders make between $13-$17 an hour depending on which state you reside in This means MIG welders can make between $27,000 a year and $36,000. This is a good starting point if you are learning the basics. Also, depending on the state you live in, you may need different licenses and schooling to be a MIG welder.
Many types of welding make good careers. MIG welding makes an excellent job, and there are many skills you can learn from this type of job. It is a good stepping stone to learn, and you will earn a generous income if you are first starting out.
Which states pay MIG welders the most to least
Here is a list of states and the pay rates. Not all of the states are list; this is the top eight, the first four are the highest paying while the last four are the lowest paying states for MIG welders.
|States||Salary Per Hour ($)||Salary Per Year ($)|
1. New York- In NY, this job makes around $36,700 a year and $17.65 an hour.
2. Massachusetts- These welders make $17.49 an hour on average, and this is approximately $36,300 a year for the typical MIG welder.
3. Washington- On average, these welders make around $36,100; this is about $17.36 an hour.
4. New Hampshire- Welders in this state, on average, make $34,900 a year, and this is around $16.82 an hour.
5. North Carolina- These welders make approximately $27,000 a year; this equals to about $13 an hour.
6. Florida- Surprisingly, one of the lowest wages given to welders. This job makes $28,000 a year; this equals around $13.50 an hour.
7. Missouri- Every year these welders make around $28,700; this is about $13.80 an hour.
8. Mississippi- An hour, these welders make $13.90 and a year that makes $28,900.
All of these are rough estimates all compiled from the average salaries of MIG welders. Keep in mind that even though some of these are lower wages, it costs less to live in individual states.
Welding can be an excellent job if you learn the industry well and make the right connections; you can move up in the industry. Specific welding jobs will also make more than others.
Do you make more by going to school for welding?
If you are going into MIG welding, there is only so high up you can go in the industry. The fantastic thing about going to school is you will learn the skills to do more than MIG welding. Learning more skills may lead to more money but not always.
School is expensive, and the certificates are much cheaper. If you go into MIG welding, look at what you are looking for. Certificates will allow you to work under someone, earn money, and work your way up in certain areas. Still, you will only be able to stay in the area that you started in.
The school allows you to expand; taking actual college classes will enable you to learn more than one type of welding. In the future, this will allow you to expand and grow. You may even find a different style of welding that will bring more income.
If you are thinking of MIG welding, a technical school for a short period may also give you more options and learn more skills. It is less money than a four-year degree and will provide you with the hands-on experience you need for the job.
What are the highest paying welding jobs?
Each job pays a different amount, and school allows you to acquire the skills for the job you choose. On top of that, an actual college degree will use hands-on experience to teach you.
|Highest Paying Welding Job||Min. Salary (yearly)||Max. Salary (yearly)|
|Military Support Welders||$60,000||$160,000|
|Industrial Pipeline Welders||$35,000||$105,000|
|Certified Welding Inspectors||$70,000||$105,000|
1. Military support welders- This job makes up to $160,000 a year, but may require you to be abroad for long periods of time. This welder supports the troops by making sure all of the gadgets and military vehicles are working properly.
2. Underwater welders- This job varies a welder who goes underwater can earn between $54,000-300,000 a year. This welding job and involves diving, it may seem fun, but it can actually be dangerous because you will be welding pipelines underwater.
3. Certified welding inspector- These jobs vary but usually start out around $70,000 a year. This means that you go over what other welders do and make sure it works properly. It can be a tedious and demanding job.
There are many more welding jobs to choose from, all making decent money. Becoming a MIG welder while in school can be a great way to gain the experience and education you need to move up in different directions of welding.
If that isn’t your style, a certificate is also a great way to get your foot in the door. If you’re thinking of MIG welding as a career and have your heart set on only being a MIG welder, a certificate could be an excellent option for you.
Is welding being taken over by technology?
MIG welding is fascinating because as our world evolves and relies more on technology, more robots are being built to take over this job. However, there are still a lot of positions open that prefer a human touch over a robot touch.
There are also many ways you can become a MIG welder and use this technology at the same time. Also, there is a need for people to build and weld robots that can do the job. On top of that, companies need someone to go over what the robot does to make sure it is done properly. There are still many opportunities in this field, and you will want to learn about the pros and cons before going into this industry.
What does a MIG welder do?
This is also known as gas metal arc welding. This process uses tools that use gas and oxygen to put pieces of metal together. The most common places MIG welders work are in the construction industry, with cars, or in manufacturing. It is really an outstanding job that keeps our world running. It is a versatile career that can allow you to work in many different fields.
How do you become a MIG welder?
There are two ways you can become a MIG welder. The first way is to go to a vocational school and learn as much as you can about welder, or an actual college to get a degree in welding. The second way is to become an apprentice to a welder. They will be able to teach you what you need to know to get the job done well.
There are pros and cons to both choices. After both options, you will need to pass a welding test and get a certificate that will allow you to weld for other companies. In the test, there will be a written half that is equally as important as the welding portion.
MIG welding is a wonderful career you can learn a lot from and make a decent living in most states. Welding is a career that will always be in demand and is a massive part of keeping countries running. Welding is used to put together our planes, cars, pipes, and it keeps us safe by being done properly. You must learn everything you can about welding when going into this field.
There are many course options to get started in this field, and any option you choose will help you start. Learning as much as you can about welding before starting is a good way to see if you will like this career path. You will be able to move in many different directions and make good money by becoming a welder.